Jorgen Rasmussen studied architecture at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in his native Copenhagen before establishing an architecture office in 1957 with his twin brother and collaborator partner Ib. They designed mostly single-family houses for which they won several architectural competitions. By 1958 Jorgen had begun designing furniture for KEVI A/S.
In 1970, Knoll acquired the rights to the KEVI chair designed by Rasmussen. Knoll was most interested in the chair’s innovative caster, which was the first to feature two wheels. The wheels were positioned asymmetrically and could rotate independently. The positioning and rolling function of the castors provided both room for and mobility of the axel and stem. The Kevi was used on many subsequent Knoll products and is the basis of the modern caster.