June 13, 2016
Knoll introduced Best of NeoCon Gold and Silver award-winning Rockell Unscripted™ at the 2016 NeoCon World Trade Fair, which opened today at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago. HiLo™, a dynamic pull-up perch for active workstyles, designed by Box Clever, also debuted. KnollTextiles previewed The Odyssey Collection designed by KnollTextiles Creative Director Dorothy Cosonas, which launches in July.
Rockwell Unscripted and HiLo support group and individual needs in the evolving workplace—where traditional boundaries between residential and contract settings blur, companies thrive by attracting and retaining top talent, wellbeing is a primary consideration, and the design of total environments outshines any one particular work element.
Spanning six categories and including more than 30 products, Rockwell Unscripted is the company's most expansive collection to date. Rooted in Rockwell Group's innovations in hospitality, entertainment and public space, Unscripted is a collection of improvisational elements that give people the powerful tools sthey need to cultivate community and creativity for the pace and flow of how we work today.
"One of the most direct links between theater design and the Unscripted collection is that the pieces are flexible and can be used in a handful of ways, depending on an office's needs," writes Diana Budds in Fast Co.Design. "For example, a wood 'bleacher' seat could be used on its own or grouped together to create a dining-style booth—it's stage dressing for the workplace."
The Knoll showroom highlights an experience-based approach to workplace planning, demonstrating the power of bringing the company's constellation of design-driven brands and people together to create inspired modern interiors. Taking cues from theater, hospitality and start-up culture, the showroom introduces Immersive planning to the r/evolution workplace™ platform, putting experience at the center of the story, blurring boundaries between primary workspaces and activity spaces, inviting connected experience, and creating a sense of hospitality at every exchange.
The showroom presents a sequence of dynamic scenes composed with elements from Rockwell Unscripted, HiLo, Antenna® Workspaces, KnollStudio and Knoll Extra. These include: Workshop, Pavilion, Reading Room, Lobby Lounge, Amphitheater, Street, and Sidewalk Cafe.
Beyond new products and planning, the Knoll NeoCon Showroom features enhancements to all Knoll Office systems and storage lines, new and classic furniture from KnollStudio, new collections from KnollTextiles, work tools from KnollExtra, and coverings and architectural solutions from Spinneybeck and FilzFelt.
The Knoll NeoCon showroom featured the company’s lines of open plan, private office, activity space, and ergonomic seating, including Antenna® Workspaces, Dividends Horizon®, Reff Profiles™, Anchor™, the Generation by Knoll® family of chairs, and Remix®. The display also included recently introduced products: Horsepower™, the visually light technology channel; Pixel™ by Marc Krusin, an innovative suite of flexible work and meeting tables; and Pilot by Knoll™, the lounge chair with a striking, slim profile designed by Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby.
In addition, Knoll featured new designs from Knoll Luxe and The Odyssey Collection by KnollTextiles Creative Director Dorothy Cosonas, and showcased Impressions Acoustic Solution, a wall-mounted acoustic tile system. The showroom also featured architectural products from FilzFelt and Spinneybeck, with designs by Gensler, Submaterial, and Norwegian designer Lars Beller Fjetland—including the Beller Collection, a new collection of natural cork composite for wall applications.
Introducing Immersive Planning
Based on its latest research, Immersive Planning, From Research To Realization, Knoll has identified a new way to think about space. Dubbed Immersive planning, the model orients a modern workplace that puts people's experiences at the center. In Immersive planning, boundaries blur not just between work, life and play, but between individuals and teams, primary workspaces and activity spaces, and owned and shared work areas and tools. Comfortable furnishings and fluid boundaries characterize this group-based workplace, where the actions of the people themselves define the space. The result: an environment that enables a variety of experiences that can transform at a moment's notice and evolve with use.
Immersive is the fifth r/evolution workplace planning approach, joining Perimeter, Core, Efficient and Adaptive. The approach takes insights from startup culture, residential and hospitality design, co-working and the ambiance of the third place to appeal to new talent, support group-based knowledge work and promote on-site attendance.
Comprised of three fundamental elements—Improvisational, Communal and Dimensional—the model cultivates a multisensory environment of dynamic flow, constant movement, meaningful interaction, creative group effort and innovation within a gracious and welcoming setting.
New Products at NeoCon 2016
• Rockwell Unscripted™. From Knoll and David Rockwell, renowned for creating places where people want to be, comes an unrivaled work experience designed to let spontaneity unfold and people complete the story. The collection of improvisational elements spans six categories and includes more than 30 products. | Welcome to Rockwell Unscripted.
• HiLo™. HiLo by Box Clever is a seat that keeps you on your feet. Designed for action and destined to reshape your day, HiLo is ready to take you where you chair can go. Small, simple, and something new—this playful perch will change the way you work. | Say Hello to HiLo.
• Horsepower™. Designed by Antenna Design and introduced at NeoCon 2015, Horsepower is a visually-light technology channel, spirited in form and steady on its feet. Available now.
• From the Archives: Bertoia Two-Tone Diamond and Side Chair. This modern classic, designed by Harry Bertoia, is now offered in twenty different frame color combinations of polished chrome, black, blue, red and white. Available now.
• From the Archives: Hairpin Stool. Originally designed by Florence Knoll in the 1950s, this whimsical piece can be used as a stackable stool or table and has a wire base with laminate top.
• From the Archives: Florence Knoll Dining Height Tables. These classic tables have a clean, geometric presence.
• From the Archives: Mies Lounge Sofa and Club Chair. Originally designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in the 1960s, these reintroductions—anticipated in 2017—have a strong, minimal profile.
• The Odyssey Collection. Designed by KnollTextiles Creative Director Dorothy Cosonas, who received the 2016 IIDA Titan Award, The Odyssey Collection makes the past present, drawing inspiration from an heirloom rug that was hand woven by Greek nuns in 1913 for Cosonas' grandmother's dowry.
• ARO Block. Designed by Architecture Research Office, ARO Block is an acoustically absorptive felt wall finish composed of small modules that can be easily installed directly to existing wall surfaces.
• Submaterial Collection. A tile-based acoustic wallcovering system from FilzFelt and designed by Submaterial, available in seven designs, from organic to geometric forms and made from two 100% natural renewable materials: composite cork and wool felt.
• Link. Designed by Gensler, Link is a freeform, modular system that uses CNC-cut 100% Wool Design Felt to play with opacity and pattern.
• Beller Collection. The Beller Collection introduces natural cork composite material to the Spinneybeck line. Designed by Lars Beller Fjetland, the heat-molded composite cork tiles provide graphic patterning across wall surfaces while improving acoustic absorption.
NeoCon 2016 Enhanced and Notable Offerings
• MultiGeneration by Knoll® with Five-Star Base
• Enhancements to NeoCon Gold Winner (2015) Pixel™ by Marc Krusin: Y Fold Table, a 96" x 48" collaborative meeeting table, and the Corner Wedge, which provides an easy transition when in L, U and O shaped Pixel configurations
• Enhancements to Anchor™ Storage designed by Marc Krusin: Slide Out Tower; Open Pedestal; Doublewide Pedestal; Lockers with Keyless Entry; and Pedestals, Lockers and Credenzas
• Enhancements to Reff Profiles™: Stepped Base Storage—a lighter alternative to flush base storage components—and Height-Adjustable Peninsula—one of three height-adjustable solutiions, with multiple finish and technology management solution
• Enhancements to Antenna® Telescope™ designed by Antenna Design: Hinged Cleat Plate Cover, Communications Mountaing Plate and Dual Utility Tray Covers
• Laminate Fronts for Calibre® and Series 2 Storage provide a warm aesthetic to classic metal storage, including towers, pedestals and lateral files
• Enhancements to Dividends Horizon®: Gallery Screens use monolithic woodgrain to create clean division of space at the end of a panel run; Beltway Panelss conveniently provide power and data access at worksurface height
• Enhancements to Antenna® Workspaces: Antenna Veneer Leg Wrap and Antenna Wide Leg
• Architectural Research Office Collection from FilzFelt
Best of NeoCon Awards
Knoll received two Best of NeoCon awards this year. In the Partitions and Screens category, Rockwell Unscripted was honored with the Best of NeoCon Gold Award. The collection also was recognized with Best of NeoCon Silver in the Storage category.
#MetropolisLikes and HiP at NeoCon Awards
Rockwell Unscripted and The Odyssey Collection are recipients of the #MetropolisLikes Award from the editors of Metropolis this year. Overall, 35 products received #MetropolisLikes awards of over 500 products entered.
Rockwell Unscripted also received a HiP at NeoCon award from Interior Design in the Workplace: Furniture and Systems category.
Join #KnollatNeoCon on Social Media
Join the conversation in our showroom by using #KnollatNeoCon and #NeoCon2016. Tag us on Instagram @knollinc and on Twitter @Knoll_Inc.
Listen to the Rockwell Unscripted™ Spotify Playlist, streaming all day from the Knoll NeoCon Showroom. As always, stay up to date with Knoll on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.